NSF INCLUDES Alliance: Engineering PLUS
(Partnerships Launching Underrepresented Students)
Link to Website: Website Under Construction
New $10 million dollar grant Northeastern will be the backbone of (see blog post).
Grant Goal: +10% undergraduate and +5% graduate increases for BIPOC/Female degrees in Engineering (100,000/30,000)
This page will be updated as the grant moves along.
“Begin” Phase (2021-2022) => Creation of Backbone organization, first 2 regional hubs, and scale-up academy
“Grow” Phase (2022-2024) => Fully integrate 50K coalition into the 50K PLUS Alliance, see the growth of network and one more regional hub
“Sustain” Phase (2025-onwards) => establish future hubs and sustainability as result of industrial and other funding
- Create a backbone organization
- Create a robust organization of regional networks incorporating regional LSAMP entities to manage the scale-up strategy
- Integrate the 50K coalition and it’s partners
- Establish reproducible training programs for university change agents supported by home institutes
- Utilize and scale up research-based engagement activities for students from high school to work force (such as bridge programs, first-year engineering programs, minority engineering programs)
- Foster a culture of shared metrics and data utilization
- Conduct research in support of scaling
- Onboard non/for-profit organizations for expanding engagement strategies and continued funding
- Internal and external evaluations
CfSE Involvement: Achieving Regional Student Engagement in Engineering:
- stEm PEERs will play a major role as the links between the women/BIPOC students being recruited/enrolled/retained and the engineering deans and faculty at universities and community colleges.
- Chief Diversity Officers, Directors of MEP and WEP programs, and other broader impact professionals will be invited to apply to the stEm Scale-Up academy.
- Home institutions will be required to offer release time for these PEERs and to provide resources for implementation of BI best practice projects (capstones).
- stEm PEERs will engage in a 1-year long PD and research experiences followed by 2-year Capstone project to pilot/enhance targeted best practices