Applications for Summer 2020 are now live. Click here to apply!
The Northeastern University Summer STEM Program (NUSSP) is an academic program run by the Center for STEM Education, which takes an active role in shaping education in students entering grades 6, 7 and 8.
The two week academic day program emphasizes increasing students’ mathematics/science skills, introducing them to college life, and stimulating their interest in science and engineering as a potential career path and supports historically under-served and underrepresented students with limited opportunities.
Each day, students participate in activities that include problem solving, study, research, writing and communication skills incorporated with biology, chemistry, physics, design concepts, and field excursions. Activities are led by Northeastern graduate students and supported by undergraduate science and engineering students. Every lesson is followed by hands-on activities to ensure full understanding of the subject being taught.
The program will be held on the campus of Northeastern University located at 360 Huntington Avenue in Boston, MA 02115.
The mission is to enable youth entering grades 6, 7, and 8 to develop and achieve their full potential through support of social, recreational, and STEM-based educational programs.
- Encourage education in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)
- Encourage and motivate youth to pursue STEM careers
- Foster teamwork, leadership, and citizenship
- To educate students in STEM skills
- To engage students in the practical aspects of STEM
- To introduce students to college life
- To inspire students to pursue careers in STEM fields
- Teach hands-on, minds-on STEM activities
- Incorporate activities that enhance communication skills (written and oral)
- Integrate field excursions to expose students to real-world STEM applications
- Develop projects and activities that require teamwork and cooperative learning
- Present opportunities for students to interact with engineers, scientists, researchers, and other professionals
- 2020 Program Dates: July 13-24 (two weeks)
- Applications Open: Open Now!
- Applications Close: March 15th, 2019
- Results Posted By: End of April
- Time of day: 8:00am-4:00pm
- Callbacks (for alumni): See Callback Page
- Students must be MA residents and live within a 30 mile radius of Northeastern University.
- Students Entering 6-8th grades the Fall following the program are eligible to apply. Students from any schools (public, private, home schooled, etc) are eligible.
- Approximately 30 students will be accepted to the program. An even number of males and females will be selected, in addition to an even split between 6, 7th and 8th grade students from a diverse range of demographic backgrounds.
- Students may only participate in the program once.
- Program cost is $600 total ($300 per week).
- A limited number of full scholarships will be offered to students eligible for free or reduced lunch (indicated in your program application). No additional scholarship application/documentation is required.
- Our program goals are aligned with national efforts to create and foster diversity in the pursuit of academic and career opportunities related to STEM. Preference will be given to students who are eligible for free/reduced lunch. Click Here for Federal Guidelines.
- Upon entrance into the program there will be a deposit of $300, half of the program fee due May 13th. This will be subtracted from final program cost, which will be due by June 10th, 2019.
READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING!
- Online Application – Click Here
- Complete online form by March 15th
*Note- Online application cannot be saved/continued later.
- Complete online form by March 15th
- Essay Submission
- Download form – Click Here
- Must be handwritten or typed by student
- Signed by current teacher and parent/guardian
- Mailed to the Center for STEM by March 15th, 2020:
Center for STEM Education
009 Dana Research Center
360 Huntington Ave
Boston, MA 02115
- Decisions made by April 30th, 2019
- To confirm your spot in the program if you are accepted, there will be a deposit of $300, half of the program fee due May 13th. This will be subtracted from final program cost, which will be due by June 10th, 2020.
For specific questions please e-mail NUstemed@gmail.com.